Meet the Army Veteran who heroically saved lives during synagogue shooting

« Previous story
Next story »
Meet the Army Veteran who heroically saved lives during synagogue shooting

By now you've heard the horrible story about the shooting, but if not, FoxNews has the basics:

After a 19-year-old gunman fired at least eight rounds into a California synagogue, he stopped to fumble with his semiautomatic rifle and then fled with 50 unused bullets, prosecutors said Tuesday.

In his first court appearance, John T. Earnest pleaded not guilty to murder and attempted murder in the shooting that killed a worshipper and injured three others at the Chabad of Poway synagogue on the last day of Passover, a major Jewish holiday. He also pleaded not guilty to burning a mosque last month in nearby Escondido.

Earnest fired eight to 10 shots inside the synagogue near San Diego on Saturday, hitting Lori Kaye, 60, twice as she prayed in the foyer, prosecutors say. Rabbi Yisroel Goldstein lost an index finger.

Then Earnest turned toward a room of children and some adults, where Almog Peretz tried to protect his niece and other kids, prosecutors said. He and his niece Noya Dahan, 8, suffered shrapnel wounds.

And then Oscar Stewart showed up:

More about Oscar from CNN:

Oscar Stewart was in the middle of prayer when gunshots rang out.
Instinctively, he ran toward the gunfire.

"I was in the military, and ... that's what I did," he told CNN affiliate KGTV. "I didn't plan it. I didn't think about it."
As other congregants ran, "I ran to the lobby where the guy was with the gun, and I saw him discharge two more rounds," Stewart said.
"As he was discharging the rounds, I ran up to him and I yelled at him, and he dropped his weapon and he ran out. And I chased him out of the sanctuary."
Stewart said his military training gave him the instinct to go after the gunman.
"They say I'm a hero, I don't think I'm a hero," Stewart told KGTV. "I just did what I did and I chased him out onto the street."
Just a horrific crime, and we should all be grateful Oscar and others were there. 
The San Diego tribune has a bit more that I should end with:
Stewart said he couldn’t explain why he did what he did, but said his military experience guided his actions. He once worked as a bomb disposal tech in the Navy, he said. He got out, then joined the Army after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.
“I served in Iraq,” he said. “I never thought I’d hear gunfire again.”

Steward said he was in Iraq from March 2003 to April 2004.

Gore commented on Stewart’s actions in a statement Sunday.

“Mr. Stewart risked his life to stop the shooter and saved lives in the process,” the sheriff said.

Stewart said he didn’t sleep well Saturday night because he can’t stop thinking about the situation.

“I hope people understand that if we understand each other, things like this won’t happen,” Stewart said. “We gotta work on that, I think.”

Posted in the burner | 1 comment
« Previous story
Next story »


* To comment without a Facebook account, please scroll to the bottom.


What you did was couragouse and good.
Doing something under those conditions
May have been a difficult decision to make.
Thankyou for what you did, be safe and

Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Have a tip for us? A link that should appear here? Contact us.
News from the World of Military and Veterans Issues. Iraq and A-Stan in parenthesis reflects that the author is currently deployed to that theater.